Answering Your Questions

There are thousands of questions current or future residents of Kings Ridge might have about the neighborhood. Here, we offer a range of questions and answers. Residents are great sources for information, so don't hesitate to ask your neighbor or residents. If you have questions not covered here, don't hesitate to reach out to the property manager, board members, or committee leads.

Q: How is Kings Ridge HOA managed?

A: The HOA contracts for day-to-day property management. A homeowner-elected board of directors elected at the annual HOA meeting is responsible for HOA oversight. Public board of director meetings are announced in advance and are typically held on the third Tuesday of each month with the exception of July. Minutes of these meetings are posted on the website by the property manager.

Q: What steps are required by the HOA to make a change, renovation, improvement, or addition to my home?

A: All (including spas, swimming pools, solar panels, trellises, etc.) are subject to the Declaration of Covenants, Conditions, and Restrictions for the Kings Ridge HOA and require review and approval by the homeowner-elected Architectural Control Committee (ACC). Please submit an ACC Modification Form using the online form.

Q: Can portable basketball hoops be located in the neighborhood?

A: Portable hoops must be kept close to the garage. For permanent installation, ACC approval Is required. Please submit an ACC Modification Form.

Q: Can boats be stored on homeowner or HOA property?

A: Boats cannot be kept in the driveway, on the street, or in the backyard. No boat shall be left on public view.

Q: Can flagpoles be installed on homeowner or HOA property?

A: ACC approval is required. Please submit an ACC Modification Form.

Q: How do neighbors inquire about landscape changes or additions of ornamental statues or sculptures?

A: ACC approval is required. Please submit an ACC Modification Form.

Q: Can neighbors add outdoor play equipment on their personal property?

A: ACC approval is required. Please submit anACC Modification Form.

Q: What's the process for installing satellite dishes on a home?

A: No antennas or exposed wires should be visible to the public, and all wires shall be contained within the structure. Satellite dishes must be mounted on the backside of the home and requires ACC approval. Please submit an ACC Modification Form.

Q: How are neighbors to maintain sidewalks?

A: Sidewalks within homeowner property must be provided and maintained by the homeowner and conform to the City of Plano requirements.

Q: Are yard signs allowed?

A: No signs except for sale, builder signs, school signs, and election signs are permitted.

Q: What's the Policy on the placement of storage sheds?

A: None are allowed on homeowner property.

Q: How do I report street light outages?

A: Please call CoServ Electric at +1 (800) 274-4014.

Q: How do I report loud noise or nuisances?

A: Please call the city at (972) 941-7000 or report egregious noises to the Plano Police non-emergency line at (972) 424-5678. Emergencies and police assistance should involve calling 911.

Q: Are there Certificate Disclosures associated with the HOA?

A: Please refer to the website.

Q: Who is responsible for the maintenance of roads within the HOA?

A: The roads are maintained by the City of Plano. Please call the city at (972) 941-7000 or to report problems.

Q: Does the Kings Ridge HOA allow payment plans?

A: Please contact Account Services by.

Q: Does the Kings Ridge HOA provide assessment statements electronically (via email or online)?

A: Owners may go to the website or call to receive e-statements to an email account.

Q: I don't see the answer to my question in these FAQs?

A: Please contact.

Q: Who are the HOA board members?

A: Please see the Kings Ridge Board of Directors page on this website.

Q: What is the annual homeowner fee?

A: $900 per year, per household.